Email This Page Print This Page
Additional Links

Starting a New Business in St. Peters

Thank you for choosing St. Peters for your business! We are here to serve you and make your "opening experiences" with the City as smooth as possible. Learn about our FasTrac process and how it can help expedite your project. The information below can help with a variety of frequently asked questions we receive from business applicants. CLICK HERE to reach our online portal to apply for business licenses (as well as construction permits or new development). For detailed information about Business Licenses, contact our Business Licensing Office at 636-477-6600, ext. 1232.



Who Needs a Business License?

All businesses in the City of St. Peters are required to have a business license. CLICK HERE to apply online now through our CitizenServe portal. Before you apply, please be aware that the type of license you need may vary depending on your needs, and each license type has different submittal requirements. More information about submittal requirements is available on the CitizenServe portal. Read below for more information about the licensing process.



Before signing a lease or purchasing a building site, make certain your intended use is compatible with the City of St. Peters Zoning Code.

Click here to review the City Code. Zoning and signage regulations are located in Section 405 of City Code.


Click here to view an interactive map with zoning districts. Tip: When you are viewing the zoning map, you can find the Legend by clicking the pull-down menu in the upper-right part of your browser window.


Occupancy Permit

All new businesses as well as businesses with a change in use, tenancy or ownership must obtain an Occupancy Permit. An Occupancy Permit is issued after inspection approval by the City Building Department and the Fire Protection District.



To ensure compliance with the City and Fire District codes, every new business and every change of use, tenancy or ownership must have inspection approval of the premises by the City Building Department and the appropriate Fire Protection District prior to opening. Any new construction or alterations to the structural, plumbing, or electrical systems require the appropriate City Permits.


For City inspections call ext. 1670 at either 636-477-6600 or 636-278-2244.


For Fire District Inspections call:

  • Central County Fire & Rescue at 636.970.9700
  • Cottleville Fire Protection District 636.447.6655 


Food Service Establishments

Food service establishments must have an inspection approval from the City Health Department. To schedule an inspection, call ext. 1409 at either 636-278-2244 or 636-477-6600.


Business Registration/Development

Most companies doing business in Missouri must register with the State. Unincorporated businesses must also file if they do business under any title other than the actual name of the owner. For specific information on incorporation, registration procedures, fictitious name, etc., contact:

Corporations Division
Office of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 778
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
573.751.4153 or 314.340.7490


For information on State-assisted Job Training Programs, Missouri State tax credit and other related areas, contact the St. Peters Economic Development Office, ext. 1305 at either 636-278-2244 or 636-477-6600.


License Renewal

Business licenses expire on Dec. 31 each year, so be prepared to renew your license on a annual basis before the end of the calendar year in order to avoid a late penalty. Learn more about Business Licensing.


Water and Sewer Service

You can start your water and other City utility services online and stop service online. CLICK HERE for more information about utility service.

CLICK HERE to learn more about utility billing or call the Utility Billing Department at 636-477-6600, ext. 1217. Office hours are 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, except on holidays.

If you need water or sewer connection to the premises, call 636-477-6600, ext. 1670. An inspection and connection fee will be required.


Trash and Recycling

Commercial solid waste and recycling services are available. CLICK HERE for more information.

Use Sales Tax Code

On Sales Tax Returns to the State, be sure to use St. Peters’ City Tax Code #65126. This will ensure your business is credited with collecting the proper amount of tax.


Cigarette Tax

There is a Cigarette Tax in the City of St. Peters of five cents per pack. You may wish to notify your local distributor of this tax; to file reports with the State call 573-751-7163.


Missouri Business Portal

Check out the state's Missouri Business Portal website to find out all you need to know about how to start and maintain a business in the state of Missouri. For business-related questions, call the State of Missouri at 866-870-6500.