Nitrogen Tire-Filling Station
Did you know the City of St. Peters has a nitrogen tire-filling station, a free service provided to St. Peters residents from April-September? The station is also open to the general public from May-September for a fee (see information below).
The station is located at the HES (Health and Environmental Services) Operations Building, 135 Ecology Drive. By filling your tires with nitrogen, you can increase the miles per gallon your vehicle gets by as much as 2.5%, saving the average vehicle around 15 gallons a year, according to EPA estimates.
If only 10% of St. Peters residents convert their vehicle tires to nitrogen, approximately 68,400 fewer gallons of gasoline would be burned in our community, saving money and emitting less carbon dioxide into the air. In addition to saving fuel, nitrogen-filled tires last longer because the tires keep their pressure longer and do not have the extreme fluctuations in pressure that air-filled tires experience.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
- For St. Peters residents: April-September, For Non-Residents: May-September
- 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, 8:15 a.m.-1:30 p.m. every third Saturday of the month
- Not available on City holidays, including Saturday before Easter
- Appointments must be scheduled in advance by calling 636-970-1456. An online option to schedule appointments is available for residents only. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
- Residents: FREE (must show valid Resident Privilege Card)
- Non-residents: $30 in cash or check only, must be paid in advance in person at 131 Ecology Drive
LOCATION: HES Operations Building, 135 Ecology Dr. (behind Recycle City). See below for directions.
- Due to equipment restrictions, we can only fill tires to a maximum pressure of 60 psi.
- Tires will be inspected prior to filling and must be in good working condition. For example, tires with exposed sidewall will not be filled.
- This service is not for vehicles with dual wheels, motorcycles or campers/RVs.
The Nitrogen Tire-Filling Station is located at the HES (Health and Environmental Services) Operations Building, 135 Ecology Drive, behind Recycle City. See map below for directions. Go past the scale house driveway and turn left at Earth Centre. Follow the signs posted along the way and painted on the ground. Appointments are scheduled for every half-hour, so please be prompt.
What to Expect
Upon arrival, please remain in your vehicle and an attendant will be out shortly. At check in, St. Peters residents will be required to show a current Resident Privilege Card. You then will park your vehicle in a designated parking space. Please
remain in your vehicle at all times. Your vehicle’s tires will be
inspected and the tire machine will be programmed for proper tire
We will attach the nitrogen filling machine to all four tires simultaneously, unless the front and back tires require a different psi. The machine will extract the air in the tire to a minimum of 10 psi. The machine will be set to automatically fill the tires to the recommended tire pressure as detailed on the sticker inside the driver’s door. After the tires have been filled, we will unhook the machine and replace the valve stem caps with green caps indicating the tire has been filled with nitrogen (or if you choose, we will place the original caps back on the tires).
What Happens If My Tires Develop a Leak?
If at any time you experience a loss of tire pressure due to a leak, regular compressed air can be placed into the tire. Just make another appointment once the leak has been corrected and we will refill the tires with nitrogen.
BACK TO THE TOP