The Parks & Recreation Inclusive Recreation Partnership
The Parks & Recreation Inclusive Recreation Partnership is a hub of inclusive recreation in St. Charles County working to include and accommodate everyone who wants to participate!
What is Inclusive Recreation?
Children and adults of ALL abilities participating side by side in recreation programs.
Is this happening in our community?
Yes! St. Charles, St. Peters and O’Fallon Parks & Recreation Departments are currently providing inclusive recreation in their communities. They have formed a partnership that allows them to share the services of a Parks & Recreation Inclusion Coordinator. This coordinator is working with all four departments and the community on an ongoing basis.
What does the Parks & Recreation Partnership’s "Coordinator of Inclusive Recreation" do?
- Communicates directly with participants and/or families to find recreation programs of interest and determine individual needs.
- Works with participants and/or families and recreation staff to provide individualized accommodations and resolve concerns as they arise.
- Assists Parks and Recreation Department staff as they include and accommodate people with disabilities in existing recreation programs.
- Provides ongoing training.
- Consults on accessibility questions.
Examples of accommodations:
- Modifying activities
- Changing staff to participant ratios
- Monitoring effectiveness of accommodations
- Arranging for participants to meet staff prior to the program
Who are the members of the Parks & Recreation Partnership?
Who is the Parks & Recreation Partnership’s "Coordinator of Inclusive Recreation"?
- St. Charles Parks & Recreation: 636-949-3372
- St. Peters Parks & Recreation: 636-939-2386
- O’Fallon Parks & Recreation: 636-379-5606
Brita Weight: 314-359-9970, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: City of St. Peters Rec-Plex, P.O. Box 9, St. Peters, Mo., 63376
The Recreation Council of Greater Saint Louis is the recreation resource for individuals with disabilities. Contact Carol Callahan, St. Charles County Coordinator, at 636-477-7704.
Funded in part by the Developmental Disabilities Resource Board of St. Charles County.
BACK TO THE TOP
St. Peters Rec-Plex Accessibility
- Accessibility parking
- Automatic front doors
- Ongoing staff sensitivity training
- Ramp-style steps in 50-meter pool
- Accessible changing rooms
- Roll-on ice rink
- Roll-in wading pool
- Pool seat lift and adjustable depth pool floor
- Three pools, three levels of water temperature
- Accessible viewing stands
- Adjustable basketball hoops
- Listening device for sports activities
- Accessible snack area
If you have a particular concern during your visit, please let someone at the front desk know of the barriers you encounter and we will do our best to alleviate the problem.
The City of St. Peters Parks and Recreation Department actively seeks and supports participation by all people with a variety of interests and abilities in recreation programs and services. Please let us know how we can serve you better. Contact us at email@example.com.
TO THE TOP