Large Item Trash Collection
Starting Jan. 1, 2021, the City of St. Peters will make a few changes to bulky waste collection so that we can provide the best possible service and keep your utility rates as low as possible.
- Bulky Trash pickup is for certain oversized items that are too large to fit in your trash cart. Each subdivision has two scheduled bulky trash pickup dates per year - CLICK FOR BULKY TRASH SCHEDULES. Residents are required to sign up at least 2 business days in advance of your subdivision’s scheduled bulky trash pickup date in order to receive bulky trash pickup service at your address. SIGN UP FOR BULKY TRASH SERVICE ONLINE or call the Solid Waste Office at 636-970-1456. Off-schedule pickups may be scheduled for a fee.
- NOT TOO MUCH! The maximum amount of bulky items that you can set out for no charge during your subdivision's scheduled Bulky collection date is 3 cubic yards. This is approximately the amount that can fill the bed of a pick-up truck.
Types of Items that MAY be set out as bulky items
- Brush and limbs less than 8 feet in length.
- Do not bundle yard waste.
- Place the brush/limbs in a separate pile away from other Bulky trash.
- Paper yard waste bags can be placed out for Bulky trash collection.
- All yard waste counts toward the total amount of Bulky. More than 3 cubic yards total (Bulky trash and yard waste) would require an extra charge for pickup during your subdivision's Bulky collection service date.
- Appliances that do not contain Freon:
- Stoves* (removed latched doors first)
- Water Heaters*
- Swing Sets (disassembled)
- GLASS ITEMS ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY: We will accept shower doors, windows, mirrors, TV sets and computer monitors, but they need to be duct-taped with a big "X" across the glass and placed into a different pile separate from all other items so that the driver can definitely see that there is glass to be picked up. This prevents the glass from being shattered on the lawn or driveway. Please follow these guidelines to avoid a mess! We will not clean up shattered or broken glass if you don't prepare the glass as described above.
*Also qualifies for optional appliance pickup.
BULKY ONLY! Bulky pickup is for items that are too big to place in your trash cart (see full list above). Our driver uses a huge claw designed to pick up big items only—not smaller items that can fit in your trash cart! Place trash bags and small items in your trash cart for collection. For example, microwave
ovens can be placed in your trash carts.
NOT TOO MUCH! If you don't want to pay for Bulky collection, the amount to keep in mind is 3 cubic yards, or approximately the amount that could fill the bed of a pickup truck. That's the most you can set out during your subdivision's Bulky trash collection date without being charged a minimum $50 for excess Bulky waste.
BACK TO THE TOP
Types of Items that MAY NOT be set out as bulky items
- Commercial Wastes
- Hazardous Wastes
- Tires and Car Batteries
- Liquids (i.e. paints, motor oil, solvents, etc.)
- Freon-based appliances
- Any item longer than 8 feet
- Any items that can normally be placed inside the trash container
BACK TO THE TOP
Preparing and Scheduling a Bulky Pickup
You need to sign up at least 2 business days in advance of your subdivision’s scheduled bulky trash pickup date in order to receive bulky trash pickup service at your address. (For example, schedule by Friday if your service is on Tuesday or by Monday if your service is on Wednesday. Holidays can affect this schedule.)
Follow these steps to prepare and schedule bulky collection:
- Check the Bulky Collection Schedule. Click here and enter your address in the schedule to see your subdivision's schedule for bulky trash pickup.
- Determine what you want picked up and what will be accepted. Keep in mind that tires, paints, liquids, car batteries or anything hazardous are not allowed. Items longer than 8 feet are not accepted. Hot water heaters, washers, dryers, furnaces, dishwashers and stoves are acceptable. Other major appliance such as refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners can only be picked up on Major Appliance Pick-up Friday for a fee. The entire pickup cannot be greater than what would fill one back of a pick-up truck bed.
- Prepare your items:
- Stoves – removed latched doors first.
- Glass Items - doors, windows, mirrors, TV sets, and computer monitors – Make a big "X" from corner to corner across the glass with duct tape. Separate the glass from all other items so the driver can definitely see that there is glass to be picked up. This prevents the glass from being shattered on the lawn or driveway. Please follow these guidelines to avoid a mess! We will not clean up shattered or broken glass if you don't prepare the glass as described above.
- Lawn Mowers – Drain gasoline and oil.
- Brush/Limbs – Place in a separate pile from all other items because a separate truck picks them up after everything else is picked up. No brush/limbs can be any longer than 8 feet. (Learn more about yard waste service in St. Peters.)
- Place items at the curb no later than 6:30 a.m. the day of the pickup,
and no earlier than 6 p.m. the night before the pickup.
- Everything must
be placed at least 4 feet away from any obstructions such as
cars, mailboxes, or trees so the automatic arm has room to maneuver
safely when picking up your items.
- Do NOT place Bulky items under utility lines. Items will not be collected if placed under any utility lines.
BACK TO THE TOP
Off-Schedule Bulky Pickups
If you have items you want to dispose of immediately or do not want to wait until your subdivision's scheduled bulky pickup date, you have the following options:
- Bring your bulky items to Recycle City at 131 Ecology Drive. There is a charge for this service. Hours are Monday through Friday (7 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) and Saturday (7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.).
- Schedule a fee-based, Friday off-schedule bulky pick-up. The cost is a minimum of $50 for up to 3 cubic yards of bulky. Three yards is equivalent to what will fit in the back of a large pick-up truck bed. The fee will be added to your utility bill. Schedule no later than Thursday at noon to have pick up on Friday. Click here to schedule online or call 636-970-1456.
- Rent a roll-off container.
BACK TO THE TOP
Major Appliance Recycling Program
MAJOR APPLIANCE PICK UP:
Curbside pickup of major appliances with or without Freon:
- Major appliance pickup occurs each Friday.
- Call 636-970-1456 option #1 to make appointment for collection.
- The curbside pick up charge is $15, or $20 for appliances with Freon (see below).
Major appliances that do NOT contain Freon (see below) can be included with your regularly scheduled bulky pickup at no additional charge.
MAJOR APPLIANCE DROP OFF:
You have the option to bring your major appliance to Recycle City for recycling.
- No charge to drop off major appliances that do NOT contain Freon (see below)
- Charge for appliances with Freon (see below): $20 disposal fee
Example of Freon-based appliances:
- Air conditioners
Example of appliances without Freon:
- Washing Machines
- Water Heaters
- Trash Compactors
- Conventional Ovens
BACK TO THE TOP