How to Recycle with Blue Bags
CLICK HERE to learn about the new Blue Cart Crew program and how you can continue recycling curbside in St. Peters! CLICK HERE to learn how you can recycle if you're a St. Peters resident who lives in an apartment or condo with a dumpster.
DOWNLOAD A BLUE BAG RECYCLING FLYER (pdf)
The City of St. Peters' Blue Bag program provides Blue Bags to residents for easy curbside recycling ... so that together we can Put the Landfill on a Diet! To recycle with Blue Bags, just put paper items and boxes in one Blue Bag and put all containers (plastic, glass, tin cans, aluminum, etc.) in another Blue Bag (see the graphic above). When either bag becomes full, it should be double-tied shut and placed inside your City trash cart/dumpster. Our "Recycle Trucks" will empty the carts/dumpsters and take the content to Recycle City to be sorted, baled and sold.
Recycling puts our landfill on a diet, and it also puts your trash bill on a diet! Every time you recycle, we save money on tipping fees at the landfill. Then, when we sell your recycled items, the money we receive also helps keep our trash service costs low. So, please remember to Blue Bag It!
PLEASE: Use Blue Bags for Recycling Only! Do not use Blue Bags for trash, yard waste, storage or any other purpose except for recycling. Blue Bags are an expense for our recycling program. Using Blue Bags for purposes other than recycling is a lost opportunity to put the landfill on a diet and lower our trash bills.
What to Include in Your Blue Bags
- Newspapers (with inserts)
- Telephone books
- Computer paper
- Junk mail
- Brown grocery bags
- Small pieces of cardboard and pressed fiber (such as cereal boxes, shoe boxes, clean pizza boxes, tissue boxes)*
*Large pieces of cardboard can be placed directly in your trash cart. It will be separated at Recycle City.
- Aluminum cans*
- Glass bottles and jars**
- Plastic containers, clear or colored, with a recycle symbol on them (no #4, #6 or black plastic, please)**
- Tin cans
*Aluminum cans may also be brought to the Aluminum Buy-Back area at Recycle City to receive the going rate for aluminum. Groups may also set up accounts to be credited when members bring in aluminum cans.
**Please leave lids on the bottles, jars and containers.
Do Not Include These Items in Blue Bags:
How Do I Get More Blue Bags?
- BEGINNING APRIL 1, 2019, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN RECEIVE BLUE BAGS FOR RECYCLING IS TO JOIN THE BLUE CART CREW! Enroll now in the Blue Cart Crew.
- To receive a new roll of Blue Bags, tie your last EMPTY Blue Bag on the handle of your trash cart. When we pick up your trash, we will leave you a new roll of Blue Bags.
- BEGINNING APRIL 1, 2019, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN RECEIVE BLUE BAGS FOR RECYCLING IS TO JOIN THE BLUE CREW! CLICK HERE to learn more about our Blue Crew recycling program for residents who live in apartments and condos with a community dumpster. Or, ENROLL NOW.
Recycle Stations (aka Backboards)
As a St. Peters resident, you are entitled to two "Recycle Stations" (also known as backboards). As you can see in the photo above, these recycle stations make it easy for you to place paper and boxes in one Blue Bag and containers in another Blue Bag. With a valid Resident Privilege Card, you can pick up your recycle stations at City Hall or at Recycle City during regular business hours.
131 Ecology Drive
St. Peters, MO 63376
Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Trash Disposal Hours:
Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Sat., 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Recycle City features a convenient drop-off center open during daylight hours, seven days a week.
Directions: Recycle City is located at 131 Ecology Drive, accessible from Mid Rivers Mall Drive north of I-70 and south of Salt River Road. Turn east from Mid Rivers Mall Drive onto Ecology Drive and travel 3/4 mile. Recycle City is on the left-hand side.