Blue Bag Curbside Recycling
DOWNLOAD A BLUE BAG RECYCLING FLYER (pdf)
The City of St. Peters' Blue Bag program provides Blue Bags to residents for easy curbside recycling ... so that together we can Put the Landfill on a Diet! To recycle with Blue Bags, just put paper items and boxes in one Blue Bag and put all containers (plastic, glass, tin cans, aluminum, etc.) in another Blue Bag (see the graphic above). When either bag becomes full, it should be double-tied shut and placed inside your City trash cart/dumpster. Our "Recycle Trucks" will empty the carts/dumpsters and take the content to Recycle City to be sorted, baled and sold.
Recycling puts our landfill on a diet, and it also puts your trash bill on a diet! Every time you recycle, we save money on tipping fees at the landfill. Then, when we sell your recycled items, the money we receive also helps keep our trash service costs low. So, please remember to Blue Bag It!
PLEASE: Use Blue Bags for Recycling Only! Do not use Blue Bags for trash, yard waste, storage or any other purpose except for recycling. Blue Bags are an expense for our recycling program. Using Blue Bags for purposes other than recycling is a lost opportunity to put the landfill on a diet and lower our trash bills.
What to Include in Your Blue Bags
- newspapers (with inserts)
- telephone books
- computer paper
- junk mail
- brown grocery bags
- small pieces of cardboard and pressed fiber (such as cereal boxes, shoe boxes, clean pizza boxes, tissue boxes)*
*Large pieces of cardboard can be placed directly in your trash cart. It will be separated at Recycle City.
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminum cans*
- Tin cans
- Plastic containers (clear or colored) with a recycle symbol on them (no #4, #6 or black plastic please)
- **Plastic film
- **Plastic grocery bags
- **Newspaper sleeves
*aluminum cans may also be brought to the Aluminum Buy-Back area at the Recycle City to receive the going rate for aluminum. Groups may also set up accounts to be credited when members bring in aluminum cans.
**Please stuff all film/bags inside one bag. Some film/bags may not be recyclable due to market conditions
Do Not Include These Items in Blue Bags:
- No light bulbs, plate or window glass, mirrors, dishes, Pyrex or Corning Ware, lead crystal, or ceramics.
- No yard waste. Click here to find out how to dispose of yard waste.
- No wet newspapers or contaminated paper, such as paper towels, tissues, food wraps, and sanitary products.
- No plastic containers marked with a #4 or #6 and no black plastic please.
- No needles or sharps. Click here to find out how to dispose of needles or sharps.
How Do I Get More Blue Bags?
- Tie your last EMPTY Blue Bag on the handle of your trash cart. When we pick up your trash, we will leave you a new roll of Blue Bags.
- Or you can pick up rolls of Blue Bags at City Hall (One St. Peters Centre Blvd.), the Rec-Plex (5200 Mexico Road), or Recycle City during normal business hours with a valid Resident Privilege Card.
- Check with your complex office.
Recycle Stations (aka Backboards)
As a St. Peters resident, you are entitled to two "Recycle Stations" (also known as backboards). As you can see in the photo above, these recycle stations make it easy for you to place paper & boxes in one Blue Bag and containers in another Blue Bag. With a valid Resident Privilege Card, you can pick up your recycle stations at City Hall or at Recycle City during regular business hours.
131 Ecology Drive
St. Peters, MO 63376
Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Trash Disposal Hours:
Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Sat., 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Directions: From I-70, take Mid Rivers Mall Drive north.Turn right on Ecology Drive. Recycle City is located ¾ mile down the road on the left-hand side.
Recycle City features a convenient drop-off center open during daylight hours, seven days a week.