With schools back in session, please be careful driving and be alert for children and school buses! Here are some of the rules of the road when it comes for stopping for school buses:
When you’re FOLLOWING a school bus, slow down when you see the bus's yellow flashing lights and STOP when the driver signals that the bus is stopping.
What if you're traveling in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION of the school bus? Follow these guidelines (as shown in the graphic above).
- For roads with 4 lanes or more such as Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Mexico Road, Spencer Road and Salt Lick Road, approaching drivers should exercise caution, but don't need to stop if the bus is coming in the opposite direction.
- If the road is fewer than four lanes, always stop for a stopped school bus no matter the direction you are traveling.
Here are some other driving safety tips to remember this time of year:
- Be careful backing out of your driveway. Pay attention and watch out for kids running to catch the bus
- Never use your cellphone when driving. Distracted driving is particularly dangerous with more kids around.
- Set a good example for your young passengers by always buckling up your seatbelt!
FOR MORE STORIES LIKE THIS, SUBSCRIBE TO THE UPFRONT NEWSLETTER.