Old Town St. Peters

Old Town Walking Tour

The St. Peters Historical Focus Committee of the Parks, Recreation and Arts Advisory Board created an Old Town Walking Tour brochure with information about many of the historic buildings in our Old Town area. Click on the tabs below to learn more about these buildings and some of our community's founding residents, plus view some photos from the past and present. You may also download a PDF version of the Old Town Walking Tour brochure.

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4

4 Main Street, present-day Field Box

This was the home of the Kern family and their millinery (hat) shop.  

In 1912 the Bank of St. Peters moved here from down the street (at 10 Main Street) and it did very well until a bank swindling scheme and the Great Depression hit in 1929.  The depression continued and led to a run on the bank in 1932.  The bank shut down for several months, and reopened in 1933 under a new license from the State Finance Commissioner.

Eventually the building also housed a liquor store until the 1950’s and then J. J. Kitchen and Catering in the rear of the building.  In 1965 the bank’s cashier, E. Eugene Poteat, was arrested for, and pleaded guilty to, submitting a false FHA loan application.  The bank left this location and moved closer to Interstate 70, to a site near the present-day
Quik-Trip.  In 1972 the building was sold to James and Betty Burns, who operated Burns Printing Company here.  They sold it to Herbert and Mary Erb, who ran Herb and Mary’s Tavern here until 1985.  After that, the Amvets Post 106 was housed here until 1997.  When they moved to their current location on Brown Road, it opened as the Field Box tavern.