How to Recycle with Blue Bags
When you enroll in the Blue Cart Crew, the City of St. Peters will provide you with Blue Bags for easy curbside recycling ... so that together we can Put the Landfill on a Diet!
- To recycle with Blue Bags, just put paper items and boxes in one Blue Bag and put all containers (plastic, glass, tin cans, aluminum, etc.) in another Blue Bag (learn more below).
- When either bag becomes full, it should be double-tied shut and placed inside your City trash cart/dumpster.
- Our “Recycle Trucks” will empty the carts/dumpsters and take the content to Recycle City to be sorted, baled and sold!
RECYCLING 101 VIDEOS:
What to Include in Your Blue Bags
- Newspapers (with inserts)
- Telephone books
- Computer paper
- Junk mail
- Brown grocery bags
- Small pieces of cardboard and pressed fiber (such as cereal boxes, shoe boxes, clean pizza boxes, tissue boxes)*
*Large pieces of cardboard can be placed directly in your trash cart. It will be separated at Recycle City.
- Aluminum cans*
- Glass bottles and jars**
- Plastic containers, clear or colored, with a #1 OR #2 recycle symbol on them (no #3, 4, 5 ,6, or 7; or black plastic)**
- Tin cans
*Aluminum cans may also be brought to the Aluminum Buy-Back area at Recycle City to receive the going rate for aluminum.
**Please leave lids on the bottles, jars, and containers.
Do Not Include These Items in Blue Bags:
- No light bulbs, plate or window glass, mirrors, dishes, Pyrex or Corning Ware, lead crystal or ceramics.
- No yard waste. Learn how you can recycle yard waste curbside with your Brown Cart.
- No wet newspapers or contaminated paper, such as paper towels, tissues, food wraps and sanitary products.
- No plastic containers marked with a #3, 4, 5, 6, or 7; and no black plastic. This includes drink containers from convenience stores.
- No needles or sharps.
- No plastic film.
- No plastic grocery bags.
- No newspaper sleeves.
How Do I Get Blue Bags?
Blue Cart Crew Members
To receive a new roll of Blue Bags, tie a plastic bag (any type of bag) on the handle of your trash cart. When we pick up your trash, we will leave you a new roll of Blue Bags. Each roll contains 26 Blue Bags. PLEASE NOTE: Blue Bags will not be delivered to any one address more than once in a 60-day period. If you received Blue Bags less than 60 days ago, and you tie a plastic bag on your trash cart handle, a new roll of Blue Bags will be delivered to your address at the end of that 60-day period. If you need additional Blue Bags quicker than 60 days since you last received Blue Bags, you may come to Recycle City at 131 Ecology Drive to pick up a roll.
Enroll now in the Blue Crew for multi-family homes. The Blue Crew is for residents who live in apartments and condos with a community dumpster. Learn more about our multi-family recycling program.