Wastewater Services

  1. Sewer Back-Ups
  2. Wastewater Treatment Plant

Report a Sewer Back-Up

Wastewater leaves your home and enters a "sewer lateral" that carries the waste to a sewer main. If there is a blockage in either the sewer lateral or sewer main, the wastewater in your home will back up. You, the homeowner, are responsible for maintaining your sewer lateral line. The City of St. Peters is responsible for maintaining its sewer mains. But, no matter where the blockage might occur, St. Peters customers should notify the City of St. Peters when they encounter a sewer backup: Dial 636-477-6600, ext. 1225 to file a formal concern.

If you call after hours (before 8:30 am and after 5 pm, or during weekends or holidays), please follow the instructions for water or sewer emergencies. The City of St. Peters has on-call Utilities personnel who respond to emergencies at all times.

The City will relieve all blockages that are found in the public sewer main. If the problem is caused by your sewer lateral or by some other problem on your property, the repair will be your responsibility.

If the backup only happens when you use water and it slowly drains when you stop using water, the problem is most likely in your lateral. If the backup occurs or continues when you are not using water, there may be a blockage in the public main.

In any case, it's important that the City check out the sewer main after any sewer backup. In the past we've spotted problems that can save homeowners a plumber's bill down the road. So, please call.

Did You Know?

The City of St. Peters has a Sewer Lateral Repair Program for St. Peters residents to help offset the cost of sewer lateral repairs. For the Sewer Lateral Repair Program, call 636-477-6600, ext. 1278.